This page has moved to a new address.

A Letter to 17 Year Old Me

Me and My Munchkin: A Letter to 17 Year Old Me

Tuesday 9 October 2012

A Letter to 17 Year Old Me

Dear 17 year old me,

It's ok. Really, it is. You don't need to know the answers to the world. You don't need to stress about the future. The future will happen, whether or not you get worked up about it. And while you're at it, don't be in such a rush to grow up. Take your time and enjoy it. Live dangerously and have some fun. The responsibility will still be there later on.

Don't worry about getting your heart broken. Yes you've been with him for years but he really isn't the right guy for you. It will take you a few years and yes, more heart breaks before you find someone who's right for you. But never be afraid to be alone. You will get to that point I promise.

Find things that you love to do. And do them well. It will take you awhile before you find a career that you love. Yes, you will fail, but you will also succeed. As the saying goes, dust yourself and try again.

PLEASE learn more about style. Even in your twenties you still have no idea and dress like a slob 9/10 times!

If I only had one thing I could tell you, save your pennies! Adapt a no-shopping life, and for gods sake, stay away from credit cards and personal loans!

Finally, believe in yourself. You CAN do it, you ARE smart and you only need to apply yourself to whatever it is you are doing to succeed. Work hard, play harder and be good to your family and friends because you will need their support one day.

Sincerely,
Twenty-something year old you.

A 17-year-old me
Linking up with Jess at Diary of a SAHM for IBOT!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 9 October 2012 at 09:11 , Blogger Unknown said...

Aww sweet.. Its funny how we see so much more on hindsight! Even though we cant turn back time, i guess all those bumps along the way play a part in moulding who we r today :)

 
At 9 October 2012 at 09:15 , Anonymous Lyndal said...

this was beautiful! I loved the line about the future coming, regardless of if you get worked up about it... its so true, and defintiely one i need to remember!

 
At 9 October 2012 at 09:29 , Blogger Ai Sakura said...

Such a lovely letter to write back to yourself. Indeed, so much to learn on hindsight.

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

 
At 9 October 2012 at 09:47 , Blogger Bright Shiny Apples said...

what a great letter.. so lovely!

 
At 9 October 2012 at 10:14 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

If only I saw then what I have seen now! I have learned so many lessons and yes, they have shaped who I am today, but geez I have certainly learned the hard way!
Chrissie xx

 
At 9 October 2012 at 10:15 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

That is something I still need to remind myself of at times. I love it though, as it is so true. If it is meant to be, it will be, whether you stress about it or not so save yourself the worry!
Chrissie xx

 
At 9 October 2012 at 10:18 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Thankyou! There really was a lot of lessons. Sadly I have learned most of them in the last 12 months.
Chrissie xx

 
At 9 October 2012 at 10:18 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Thanks Hun, Just felt the need to tell myself, even if I couldn't actually read it!
Chrissie xx

 
At 9 October 2012 at 11:38 , Blogger Grace said...

That was gorgeous, Chrissie! The great thing about writing letters like this is that it helps you put perspective on who you are today. You have a great things ahead of you, gorgeous girl. I can feel it xxx

 
At 9 October 2012 at 12:09 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Thanks so much Lovely! I am so excited for the coming months and wish I could share more but can't just yet! There certainly is great things coming!
Chrissie xx

 
At 9 October 2012 at 12:36 , Blogger Emma said...

Wise words! Especially the don't fret line - it took me til my 30s to stop stressing and really could have done with learning that lesson earlier. That said, I doubt I'd have listened much when I was a stubborn 17-yr-old!

 
At 9 October 2012 at 18:01 , Blogger EssentiallyJess said...

Beautiful letter. I would also tell myself to develop style and save my money! Funny what we would say in hindsight. :)

 
At 9 October 2012 at 20:35 , Blogger Kel said...

Very nice Chrissie! Love that you've advised yourself to try and be more stylish hahaha. Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it ;-) xx

 
At 9 October 2012 at 21:59 , Blogger Tubbah @ Organising: My Crazy Life said...

wow thats powerful hun! :) Such a nice post!! and hey theres nothing wrong with dressing like a slob, fellow slob here hehehehe :D

 
At 10 October 2012 at 09:50 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

You always thought you knew everything back then hey? I know I did. I was in such a hurry to grow up I didn't actually think to you know, grow up. At least not emotionally.
Chrissie xx

 
At 10 October 2012 at 09:52 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I am still terrible with my money! Probably why I'm living at home with my folks instead of Munchkin and I having our own space. And style? Ugh I am so over hoodies and ugg boots!
Chrissie xx

 
At 10 October 2012 at 09:53 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I still can't decide what looks good on me and what sort of look I'm going for. Hopefully I'll get there one day!
Chrissie xx

 
At 10 October 2012 at 09:54 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Haha I have no idea how I attracted Mr M! Hopefully with the weather warming up we might both be a little more inclined to dress a little nicer :) I don't even know what's in fashion anymore!
Chrissie xx

 
At 11 October 2012 at 14:23 , Blogger Natalie said...

There are so many things I wish I could have told 17 year old me. But maybe we need to go through the hard times to pressure the real us into becoming whole.

 
At 11 October 2012 at 14:30 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I agree, these experiences have certainly made me into the person I am today, though it would be nice if I could've given myself some advice, even if I wouldn't have listened to it!
Chrissie xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home