This page has moved to a new address.

Yes, I Cheated... And it Feels Terrible!

Me and My Munchkin: Yes, I Cheated... And it Feels Terrible!

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Yes, I Cheated... And it Feels Terrible!

So Friday night was yet another finals round in the AFL. Being a Port Power supporter, it's been awhile since I have watched a finals game from start to finish. Or even paid attention to who's where on the ladder once the finals rounds start.

Then of course I had to start dating an Adelaide Crows supporter. Not only do I have to listen to jokes about how bad Power played this season (actually and the last couple of seasons!) but I'm expected to tag along to the Crows games and cheer for them.

Now it would be so easy for me to just say "Screw the Power! They're losers! I'm gonna barrack for the winning South Australian team!" but I am loyal and I stand by my boys, no matter how bad they are playing.

Needless to say, going along to my 2nd Crows game felt a little like cheating. I have gone against what feels normal and wanted the Crows to win their last few games, so that I have a happy boyfriend. But expecting me to come to the games is surely asking too much right?

{image source}
I went to my first Crows game a little over a month ago. I sat in silence, mostly because I was freezing cold and WAY underdressed (I was in jeans, a long sleeved top, a hoodie and knee high boots!) but also because I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for them. It felt wrong.
I tried to get out of going to the game on Friday, which incidentally was against the same team as the first game I attended but Mr M was hell-bent on me going (something about me being a lucky charm because they won the first game I attended).

I downed a can of Red Bull on the way to AAMI Stadium, thinking of it as a chance to get out of the house for the night. I sat in our undercover seats, this time wearing fleecy track pants and a big thick jacket, and I waited for the game to start. Mr M next to me was, of course, totally excited. His Mum and sister next to us, just as excited.

I made a promise to myself right there and then that I would make an effort to cheer for the Crows that night. I hoped they would win, because I knew that it would make Mr M happy. And of course we all know that a happy man means we all win!

My efforts did not go unnoticed. I was commended (and maybe made fun of just a little bit) for cheering for "the right team". I have to admit though, I felt like I needed to shower when I got home and as though I had done the dirty on my football team! But I had one happy man, and I got some brownie points for making the effort!

Do you ever go against what feels right just to make your man happy?
What AFL team do you support?


It's Tuesday so I'm linking up with Diary of a SAHM for IBOT

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 18 September 2012 at 09:27 , Blogger Yvette Bowyer said...

freo dockers supporter here..

no comment :P

#teamIBOT was here to say hello!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 12:05 , Blogger EssentiallyJess said...

So you know, this was the first post I read to day because it had the crows on it!

I used to be a West Coast supporter, but Boatman refused to marry me unless I went for the Crows, and I loved him more than the Eagles, so its Crows first, Eagles second.
I have embraced this and learnt to shout enthusiastically when required, and I must say, I'm totally excited we won on Friday.

Also, you are obviously some kind of good luck charm. Is there any chance you can go to this weeks game against the Hawks? We need all the help we can get there!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 12:44 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I was hoping you would win the first game against the Crows, just a few weeks ago!
Chrissie xx

 
At 18 September 2012 at 12:49 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Haha I can't say I'd change teams, though Mr M seems to like having a girlfriend that supports the opposition, even more so because Port suck these days!

Also I have just about stretched my limit of Crows games for the next few weeks! I can't wait for footy season to be over now, but then it's cricket and I just don't do cricket!
Chrissie xx

 
At 18 September 2012 at 15:16 , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't follow afl at all. I have stopped and given up on nrl cause my team kept getting beat lol. But I did start going for two teams. When they would play each other I would cheer the ones that were winning lol.

 
At 18 September 2012 at 16:44 , Blogger BossyMummy said...

I am an eagles supporter, so I did feel like I was cheating going for the dockers on Friday night. Fat lot of good my support did.......

Hello hello form #teamIBOT!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 19:30 , Blogger Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

Haha, I feel sorry for you, maybe next year they can cheer on port!

 
At 18 September 2012 at 19:41 , Anonymous Three Quarters Full said...

I'm not a follower of any team but until we moved from SA I was a crows supporter... although back then Port Power was the Port Adelaide Magpies and wasn't even in the NFL! Now I feel old.

 
At 19 September 2012 at 10:10 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I love your idea of cheering for the winning team during that game!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 September 2012 at 10:11 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Haha it does feel kind of like you are cheating on your team doesn't it? Like "Oh my god I hope they don't find out!"
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 September 2012 at 10:12 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oh don't you worry Mel, I have every intention of milking it for all it's worth next season, and dragging him along to some Port games!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 September 2012 at 10:14 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I remember being a Crows supporter before Port Power were in the AFL, mind you I was only a kid, but I still had my Crows beanie. I will never tell Mr M that though!
Chrissie xx

 
At 19 September 2012 at 16:05 , Blogger One Mother Hen said...

My hubby is Port, much to his own disgust the past couple of years. It's nice to see one of the SA teams doing well. Our youngest is "supposed" to be a port supporter, only because I claimed Izzy as Collingwood. We will see. I'll be going for the crows this week, and in the other game........I think you know where my loyalties lie ;)

 
At 19 September 2012 at 17:47 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I know the feeling, I'm kind of ashamed to call myself a Port Supporter!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home