This page has moved to a new address.

My (lack of) Time Management Skills

Me and My Munchkin: My (lack of) Time Management Skills

Friday 3 August 2012

My (lack of) Time Management Skills

This is a totally unscheduled post, as I have not had the time to prepare for my scheduled post for today! If you follow Me and My Munchkin on Facebook, you would know that I have had a sick little Munchkin this week. And if you don't, why the hell not? Head on over and introduce yourself! While we're talking introductions, head over to a post on the blog that interests you and introduce yourself there, too!

Anyway, sleep deprivation and stress does a lot to my sanity and writing skills. It also sends me a little cuckoo and distracts me from the point of what I'm getting at.

The issue in question today, is time, and the fact that most of us mothers just do not have enough of it! Yes I know we all have the same amount of time. I have no less time than Tara over at Mum-ments, Grace over at With Some Grace, or even Katy Perry. But it really feels like I just do not have enough hours in the day to do what needs to be done.

{image source}
Picture this: a sick, clingy, sooky and cranky toddler (making you cringe yet?) add in 2 weeks of Tafe that I am already behind in thanks to a forgotten textbook they just happened to leave off the list, also don't forget the blogging (totally important, it is my me-time to connect with all you lovely ladies) and throw in the attempt at sleep for good measure. See now, I've already forgotten working out! All five of these things are important to me, more so than the housework, which also needs attending to through the week.

So what's a mum to do?

I have never been good at time management. Procrastination? I'm a master, and can teach you everything I know. I am so much happier sitting on Facebook, playing cars with Master A, coming up with a plan for the week that I so desperately want need to follow, than I am actually doing what it is that needs to be done.

I am also not so good at the balance thing. I tend to be a little one-sided. That is great when I'm watching the footy, but not so good when I have work screaming to be done, a child screaming for pain relief, a body that's starting to put on weight and a house that's beginning to look like a bomb site.

{image source}
I think that just maybe, it is about time I looked at my time management skills, and tweak them just a little so that I manage to get everything done. Please tell me that I'm not the only one that is feeling just a little like they're in over their heads and needs some kind of a wake up call to put it all back in perspective?

Well, I'm off to the Amazon e-book store, to procrastinate a little more by looking at books on time management.

How do you make sure that you manage your time effectively?
Do you manage to fit social outings in to your day?
How many more hours a day do you need?


Flogging my blog over at With Some Grace. Head over and check out some amazing bloggers.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

At 3 August 2012 at 06:35 , Blogger Rhianna said...

Oh I felt I could have written this. Enter world's best procrastinator here. If you find a way to tweak those time management skills please send some hints my way

 
At 3 August 2012 at 06:43 , Blogger Bachelormum said...

I wish I cld offer advice but I'm sitting in bed right now with my iPad when I should be getting ready for work, knowing morning madness is just on the other side of my sheets. I love being a free spirit, doing things in my own time, it just gets me into pickles. x

 
At 3 August 2012 at 07:35 , Blogger Redcliffe Style said...

I am usually great with time management but lately I have lost complete control and i don't like it. Rachel x

 
At 3 August 2012 at 07:48 , Anonymous Life with Square Pegs said...

I liked your idea of reading about it - does that say something about my time management skills? Actually, I don't sleep much; I find that helps.

 
At 3 August 2012 at 08:01 , Blogger Kel said...

I'm a slight time management nazi, it's terrible, but it's effective! I squeeze in a few social outings each week, but only if they're in my calendar hahaha. And LISTS, oh my god there are lists all over the place, gotta check off the lists! Plus I dash about like speedy gonzalez, and when my bum isn't in this computer chair, I don't sit down. Too much to do. OCADD.

 
At 3 August 2012 at 08:35 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

No such luck :( I am on the computer responding to comments instead of cleaning the bathroom! Both need to be done, like I said I can't balance! I'm going with that over procrastination!
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 August 2012 at 08:36 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I don't like the feeling of being restricted, though I LOVE organisation, so go figure? Hope the morning wasn't too mad for you!
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 August 2012 at 08:37 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oh I have never been good at time management. It's the one part of organisation I just can't seem to get a handle on. I think it's time we all got control back of our time!
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 August 2012 at 08:39 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I don't sleep much either, though this is usually due to thinking too much about what I have to do, and then I'm too exhausted the next day to do any of it! Think I need a huge diet change to give myself extra energy!
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 August 2012 at 08:40 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

See I'm like that with the rest of my organisation, though when it comes to organising my time, I just cant (or don't want to) do it. I'd rather do other things! Good on you for being so good at it, got any good tips for the rest of us?
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 August 2012 at 12:50 , Blogger Unknown said...

yeah this is me.. I procrastinate.. about everything.. especially laundry.. hate laundry!

 
At 3 August 2012 at 12:53 , Blogger Catherine Rodie said...

I'm not the best - but what works for me in terms of time management/me time/balance is have structure to our days. We're always out the house before 9, we do something fun in the morning then get home by 12 for lunch and a sleep. While the girls nap I get to drink tea and catch up on reading my fav blogs and do a little writing too. In the afternoon we wreck the house!
I hope your little guy feels better soon! x

 
At 3 August 2012 at 13:02 , Blogger Cathy said...

This is the story of my life! I have too many boring things like housework to do and that doesn't leave enough time for fun stuff like blog reading which is why I'm always up until all hours!

 
At 3 August 2012 at 15:16 , Blogger Grace said...

Yesterday was the first day - in what feels like forever - that I felt was really productive. I got my Nutrition assignment done, I wrote up some blog posts and even managed to cook a proper dinner! But don't ask me how I did it. I fear it may have been a once off :)

P.S Thanks for the lovely mention x

 
At 3 August 2012 at 15:25 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I don't mind the laundry so much, the bathroom is what gets me every time!
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 August 2012 at 15:26 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I have tried to have complete structure, but found it too hard to stick to. That is great how you have found something that works for you! And thankyou, he is feeling much better now!
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 August 2012 at 15:27 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oh yes I know that feeling all too well! I am so over housework it's not funnny!
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 August 2012 at 15:29 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Woop you go! Good on you for getting through everything. Today was this day for me. Though I have not sat down and gone through the linkies on your blog or Twinkle in the eye yet, and I still have 2 chapters of my textbook to read for Tafe.
Chrissie xx

PS You're more than welcome. I actually put it in there before I realised I was actually linking up to you anyway :) I try to share the love around!

 
At 3 August 2012 at 18:00 , Blogger carmen said...

Oh gosh, I just read about myself some 15 years ago! I was right in that position myself!
I did finish my tafe course, my toddler son survived having mum on his own until he was almost 7... and THEN I lost all sight of time management with the arrival of my little miss. All these years later, I know I'm on track because my Google calender kicks me in the butt to remind me with plenty of time... as well as every child/household member! ;)
Good luck with your journey! Hope your lad is feeling much better. x

 
At 3 August 2012 at 19:05 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not bad at time management. I'm just lazy. I'm the QUEEN of procrastination!

 
At 4 August 2012 at 13:25 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oh good so there is a light at the end of the study tunnel! I've got 4 courses to do and feel so far away from the end! Glad to see you've managed to get on track of it all!
Chrissie xx

 
At 4 August 2012 at 13:25 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oh yes, I can be very lazy too!
Chrissie xx

 
At 4 August 2012 at 23:11 , Anonymous Lisa Wood said...

Downsizing our home into a motorhome was the only way I could get rid of housework :)
And yeah I waste a lot of time thinking about what needs to be done!
Now I am setting dead lines and that seems to be helping!

 
At 5 August 2012 at 13:49 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha love reading this while I laze about reading blogs! I'm such a procrastinator too. I guess some people are born organisers, and some people are not. I definitely wasn't!! I'm also a to-do-list freak, and write about 5 lists a day... Getting the things done is another story though!
Enjoying your blog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home