This page has moved to a new address.

The Roller Coaster of Life

Me and My Munchkin: The Roller Coaster of Life

Tuesday 3 July 2012

The Roller Coaster of Life

Most people have had some kind of a roller coaster ride through their lives. And I don't mean on an actual roller coaster. As someone terrified of heights, roller coasters scare the hell out of me! I'm talking about life. Ups and downs, twists and turns. No one's life can be completely full of ups. It's totally impossible and you can't appreciate the ups without experiencing some downs.

{image source}
My life since turning 18 has very much been a roller coaster ride. You can read my story of depression here. The difference with happy people, is their ability to not let the downs affect their ability to believe that life will still give you more ups. 

At the end of last year, I had a very negative view of men. To me, they were only there to break my heart. Don't get involved, won't get hurt. I've also had the view of why would they ever want me? A single mum in her early twenties, living at home with her parents, studying instead of earning a living. Not a lot of guys would consider this a great catch. Trust me, I've done my research! My car has required a hell of a lot of money spent to get it fixed and drivable, and there is still more to do. I am living with my parents, when I desperately want my own space. 


What I have come to realise, is that I have so many things to look forward to. I can't wait until next year, when I should be able to afford to move into my own place. Hopefully by the end of next year, a new (smaller and cheaper) car should be on the cards too. I will also be working by then too. There are so many moments that I have to look forward to, that my fear of the 'down' parts of my past have totally stopped me from having. 


{image source}
Watching my Munchkin grow up. Coming to a workable agreement with his father so that the stress of custody issues stops and we can enjoy our son. Finishing my study and being a fully qualified accountant. Replacing the furniture I lost when I split up with ex with beautiful nice new furniture (that I pick)! Meeting someone special to spend the rest of my life with and having more kids. 


I am by no means saying that we should always focus on the future, and what the future brings. Otherwise we miss the present, and all the wonderful things that are in it, like our children, families, friends, careers, homes, etc. But a healthy balance of looking forward to the future, and appreciating what we have presently, and being grateful for it makes the roller coaster ride so much more bearable, and even fun. We can't take the downs out of our life, but we can make sure it doesn't ruin our chance to have more ups. 


Are you on an up or a down on your roller coaster ride?
What have you got to look forward to?




Linking up with the totally awesome Jess from Diary of a SAHM for IBOT

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 3 July 2012 at 08:12 , Blogger Mandie said...

So true about the balance between the present and the future (and the past, really). Great post :)

 
At 3 July 2012 at 08:31 , Anonymous Lyndal said...

i really liked this post - possibly because these past few weeks have been so tough with depression and trying to keep it at bay whilst not making any drastic decisions! it was refreshing to read this - so honest, and true and just lovely.
thankyou

#teamIBOT

 
At 3 July 2012 at 13:53 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It can be so hard to balance it all, and I am a terrible culprit for focusing on the past and letting it colour my judgement for the future. Thanks for commenting. Chrissie xx

 
At 3 July 2012 at 14:01 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

One thing that I have found helps so much with depression is acceptance. Realising that it's ok to have down times. That it's ok to feel overwhelmed. Realising that there is so much to still look forward to, and you have every right to look forward to it. Just because something bad has happened in your past doesn't mean that it's going to continue into your future, you have the power to stop that happening. Good luck over the next few weeks, and thanks for commenting. Chrissie xx

 
At 3 July 2012 at 15:21 , Blogger Yvette Bowyer said...

the waves that come in and out of everyones lives are so different yet also so similar..

life is full of rollercoaster rides!

Thats what I go on the gravatron!

 
At 3 July 2012 at 18:49 , Anonymous BossyMummy said...

The last six months have been a downward ride for me - I figure I am at the bottom of my rollercoaster, so it is going to get better from here :)

 
At 3 July 2012 at 19:13 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

No body will ever know what you are going through, even if they have been in a similar situation themselves. No one ever knows what your roller coaster feels like. Thanks for commenting.
Chrissie xx
PS I stick to the safer rides too, the ones that stay on the ground!

 
At 3 July 2012 at 19:15 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

That is definitely the way to look at it! Your next up will be great, and could go for a year if you let it! Just remember not to let your current down stop you from realising that you deserve and will receive your next up! Thanks for commenting.
Chrissie xx

 
At 3 July 2012 at 22:26 , Blogger Tubbah @ Organising: My Crazy Life said...

Life is definitely a roller coaster ride. I was at my lowest point in June/July 2010 and it's been up and down ever since, but has slowly been moving up. You're right about acceptance being an important part. As they say, ya gotta keep on keeping on :) Great post :)

 
At 4 July 2012 at 08:54 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Well done on picking yourself up and allowing yourself to go up from there! Sometimes when you get down, it can be really hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so you have trouble getting back up again. Thanks for commenting.
Chrissie xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home