This page has moved to a new address.

My Three Weeks of Pain

Me and My Munchkin: My Three Weeks of Pain

Thursday 7 June 2012

My Three Weeks of Pain

I keep reading all of these inspiring blog posts about gorgeous women getting out there and running. Exercise is so not my friend in winter, when I find it hard enough just to get out from underneath the 3 blankets on my bed and face the cold morning, let alone get into gym gear and go for a run.

image source unknown
My second issue is the running itself. I can never seem to run beyond 50 meters before I start feeling like my chest is going to explode, and my knees want to give way from underneath me. I'm unsure if it's my life-long asthma that's the problem, or if I am just so unfit that I struggle with it. Perhaps it's just that I don't push myself hard enough, and working with a personal trainer will help.

Whatever the reason, I am usually the girl that everyone sees casually strolling down the bike/walking track along the beach, while they all jog past me.

I am not an overweight woman. When looking up my Body Mass Index (BMI), I am at the weightier end of the average range for my age and height. In roughly 3 months I went from a size 6-8 to a size 10-12, where I have stayed. I actually lost weight after having Master A.

This post is not about a weight loss journey for me (however if I could lose a few kilos here or there I certainly won't complain!) For me this is about being healthy. I want the energy to keep up with my son, to keep up with life in general. I am a single mum, who has just started studying and writing a blog. I love to spend time with friends and then of course there is the housework. I do not have the time to feel fatigued.

And then there is of course the simple fact that child sees, child does. I want to teach my Munchkin healthy habits. Running around, playing, eating healthy and doing the things he loves. He will not learn that from me wrapped up in a blanket in front of the computer, iced coffee in hand, or sitting on the floor playing play dough with him, wearing 3 jackets, track pants and ugg boots.

{image source}
It is time for a change. However I am someone that will get overwhelmed with too much change, and change that feels too permanent. Therefore I have decided to set myself a 3 week challenge, changing just a couple of things at a time, so that I don't feel too burdened by it.

This challenge includes:

  • Giving up Iced Coffee. I know, I want to cry and I miss it already (even though I have a glass of it sitting next to me now!) 
  • Take away once a week only. Years ago I participated in a bet that I had to go 2 weeks without take away. I managed to do it. I know that I could do it again this time however my parents do buy take away, and I know I couldn't resist for 3 weeks straight, with it being in the house. So I will limit myself to either a Friday night or Saturday night.
  • Going for a walk daily. This walk will include periods of running. I will take my asthma inhaler just in case its required and work my way up to a 50/50 ratio of walking to running. 
This is all I am going to change for the moment, as I know that if I go on a full health kick, I will start to regret it, my will power will slide and I won't achieve anything. I am hoping that after 3 weeks, I won't feel like iced coffee anymore, and walking and running daily will be a bit more routine.

Have you ever set yourself a health challenge?
What do you need to give up in order to be healthier?


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 7 June 2012 at 10:56 , Blogger Tubbah @ Organising: My Crazy Life said...

Good on u!! I set my self a health/weight loss goal back in January. I too was a size 6-8 but after having my babies I was a 10-12. I didn't necessarily want to be that small again, but I wanted to be a healthy size 10, and having an impending getaway to QLD, I teamed up with a friend and we cut out all take away, drank smoothies for breaky and sometimes for lunch and had a nice healthy meal for dinner. I was doing mums and bubs yoga and exercised with the kids, we danced, did yoga, ran around etc. I was breast feeding at that time too, so the weight came off pretty quickly and I had so much more energy. The hardest part was not having my can of coke with dinner :( I made sure I had it every second day or so, so I didn't feel deprived lol :D

Good luck and love to know how u go :) u might just motivate me too lol

Tubbah xx

 
At 7 June 2012 at 13:02 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oooh I like that healthy eating plan! I wonder how I would go with that. I am much more likely to stick to something like that if everyone else around me is doing the same. But it's hard when I live with others that won't.
Maybe I will look at something like that Once these 3 weeks are up. It's the iced coffee thats the real killer!
Chrissie xx

 
At 7 June 2012 at 19:20 , Blogger Nemmi said...

By BMI I am "obese"
I am 160 cm tall, 78 kilos in weight.

I have gained roughly 10 kilos in the last 4 months (eeek)

I can not walk, let alone run 50 meters as I end up in a major asthma attack :( I just dont know where to start.

 
At 7 June 2012 at 19:33 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I would just start where you can Nemmi, my mum told me years ago of a woman who simply walked around her clothes line. When my son was first born, and I was a little hesitant to take him out of the house I would walk and jog up and down the hallway.
Start by giving up just one thing that you think is holding you back. It doesn't feel so overwhelming then.
Chrissie xx

 
At 10 June 2012 at 11:31 , Blogger Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye said...

I've been noticing all these running bloggers as well! I asked Magento Bold Too what this was all about - she told me there was a zombie apocalypse, hence all the running. I don't really believe her. Seven Cherubs said it was because blogging was making her butt big. That's probably more the case! I'm like you - running makes me feel like my chest is going to explode. Small changes are more my style too e.g. drink water instead of juice or fizzy. Stop drinking diet coke etc. Much higher chance of success. Thanks for linking up with Twinkle in the Eye!

 
At 12 June 2012 at 08:33 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

I would love to be able run, but don't think I'm going to get there! Alas, I am just going to have to continue walking whilst everybody runs past me! Thanks for your comment!
Chrissie xx

 
At 15 June 2012 at 09:12 , Blogger Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye said...

Hi Chrissie. Just letting you know yours is one of the featured posts on Twinkle in the Eye this week. Thanks for linking up last week. Drop by and see: http://www.twinkleintheeyeblog.com/2012/06/flash-blog-friday-linky-party_15.html

 
At 15 June 2012 at 09:41 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Wow thankyou! How did I not see that when I linked up for this week? Guess I must really be sick. Thanks so much!
Chrissie xx

 
At 15 June 2012 at 13:26 , Blogger Catherine Rodie said...

Hi there! I'm a new follower via Twinkie in the Eye!
This is such a well timed post for me! I was doing great with the jogging and weight loss until daylight savings meant running in the dark (and now cold!). I know I need to get my butt moving again, but I'm struggling to find the motivation! x

 
At 16 June 2012 at 09:36 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Hi Catherine!

I know exactly what you mean about daylight savings finishing. I haven't even been able to do any running so far as I have been really sick with asthma the last week, however even with giving up the iced coffee and cutting back the take away, I have shed nearly 2 kilos in a little over week. So the small changes certainly work, and I feel so much healthier, simply giving these 2 things up!
I hope you find some motivation soon, I am struggling a little with it too! Thanks for commenting!

Chrissie xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home