This page has moved to a new address.

Good Night, Sleep Tight

Me and My Munchkin: Good Night, Sleep Tight

Saturday 16 June 2012

Good Night, Sleep Tight

Night time routines can make all the difference in a child's sleep habits. Master A's sleep habits have been up and down since we moved in with my parents.


From the age of 4 months until 12 months when we moved, Master A slept through the night. I had a bed time routine for him virtually since the day we brought him home from hospital. I had routines for everything. I tried to continue them as we moved, but we had a few issues.

In March, when he was 17 months old, I transitioned him from the cot to a single bed. He loved it and for the next week he slept right through, until he got sick and went into hospital. From then on we had problems. He would drink 2-3 bottles of milk a night and because I was exhausted, I just did it. I didn't know what else to do. Nothing about his bed time routine had changed. It was all still exactly the same.


When he was 19 months old we went cold turkey on the bottle. We've had our ups and downs, a few nights of sitting up by his bed for the entire night, I even hopped into bed with him one night because I was just too tired.

We have finally hit the jackpot though, and he is sleeping through the night again, even whilst he has been sick! So I thought I would share with you exactly what it is we do.

Dinner time in our house is at about 6pm. Bed time is at 7.00. Therefore, between 6 and 7 Master A eats dinner, has a shower, has a bit of play time and goes to bed. I try to keep this as strict as possible, so that he has the same routine every night. It isn't always possible though. Some nights dinner may take longer to prepare than others, or Master A may be eating slower than usual, meaning that there isn't really much time for play. I try to aim for at least 15 minutes of play time before bed.

At 7.00 I give Munchkin any medication he may need, such as his puffers, Panadol or teething gel if he's teething. We then say good night to Gran and Grandad and off we go to bed.

This routine has worked a treat, and I think that keeping up with it, even when we were having so many problems has been the right thing to do. The only difference was that he used to be put to bed with a bottle of milk.

I hope that those without a bed time routine (and I know there are so many out there, struggling to get their little ones into bed before 11) can see that it really doesn't need to be hard, or complicated. If your child isn't used to a routine, persistence is the key. Just keep going with it, and they will eventually learn that you are in charge, and this is what is happening next. Don't give up!

Do you have a bedtime routine for your Munchkins?
What time do you put your kiddies to bed?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 16 June 2012 at 13:58 , Blogger Tubbah @ Organising: My Crazy Life said...

I agree, I think having a routine is very important with little ones. I have a routine with our kids, which works well, but its hard when the husband is home cause routines go out the window.

We also have dinner around 6, and bed time for the 2 and 3y/o is 7:30, bed for the 5y/o is 8.30, and bed for the bub is about 8.45 (he goes to bed when I've tucked my daughter in and read her a story)

Play time and quick tidy is done after dinner, then older kids baths and 2 and 3y/o bedtime.

My daughter, bub and me usually watch telly for a bit, and I bath bubs at about 8.15.

 
At 16 June 2012 at 14:56 , Anonymous Crystal Jones said...

I start cooking dinner at 5pm, with the distractions of a toddler its ready to eat around 5:45pm while im cooking i get out her pjs, prepare her bedtime bottle, and get her bed ready.
Straight after dinner she has a bath and a play in there, get out get dressed and has a play from around 6:30pm - 7pm.
7pm she is in bed with her bottle & teddy and sleeps right through until at least 7am the next morning.

She slept right through from 4 months until she turned 1, then a wonder week that lasted 3 weeks stuffed all that up and she was waking through the night and the only thing that would resettle her was a bottle.. then we came up with this routine and havent had a problem since! Even teething she sleeps right through :)

She's now 15 months :)

 
At 16 June 2012 at 15:17 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Routines help us to feel a little more in control, and help the kids to feel more secure. I agree though, men can make it so much harder, especially when they are not around every night!
Chrissie xx

 
At 16 June 2012 at 15:20 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It sounds like you have had a similar experience to myself. Good on you for persevering and getting your little one into a workable routine. Thanks for commenting!
Chrissie xx

 
At 16 June 2012 at 16:12 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleep time was always tough in my house, it still is! My 22 year old has never needed a lot of sleep and is regularly awake until all hours of the morning. When he was little he'd be in bed by 7pm but he'd wake during the night, for years!
It sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping to the sleep routine, keep it up! :-)

 
At 19 June 2012 at 09:28 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

It can be so hard, especially when they wake for so long, and you have no idea why. I also have friends whose kids would go until they dropped... usually at 10 or 11 at night. The poor parents are exhausted and never get any time to themselves. Thanks for commenting!
Chrissie xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home