This page has moved to a new address.

I'm Calling in Sick

Me and My Munchkin: I'm Calling in Sick

Monday 14 May 2012

I'm Calling in Sick

The one thing that I miss about being a working girl, with no children? When you were really sick, you could call in sick to work, and lay around on the couch all day, wallowing in self pity and sleeping through the virus from hell.

Being a stay at home mum to a demanding toddler means that even when I feel like I should be finalising my will and setting any affairs in order, I still need to cook, clean, change stinky nappies and on some level, entertain my child.

I started feeling the tickle in my throat on Friday. By Saturday I had a rather sore throat, and when I woke up on Sunday, it was a full blown virus. Sore throat, sore head, achy body, runny nose, and then of course, it triggers my asthma and I'm coughing enough to give me a strain in my back.

For the last 2 days all I have wanted to do is lay in bed and fall asleep to Vin Diesel on the TV (Yum!) But Master A had other plans. See, I was silly enough to decide to finally follow through with my plans of taking Master A's bottle away Friday night. It all sounded so good in my head. He was at day care for the day, would be tired and should make it easier, right?

Wrong.

He went to sleep beautifully, and slept through the night, until waking at 5:30 Saturday morning. He has subsequently woken at 5:30 each morning since. He then likes to throw a tantrum, you know, just in case Mum might give in and open up the bedroom door, bottle in hand. After that he is sooky, and ultra clingy to Mum for the rest of the day. So when I am wanting to simply curl up in bed with my warm doona and hot chocolate, I have my beautiful little boy, at my bedside wanting cuddles, wanting me to come play, anything so that Mummy will hold him and he can latch on like a leech!

I am usually all for cuddles with my boy. I love when he wants to come and sit with me and just snuggle. However when I'm sick, I like to suffer in peace!

I am so embarassed to say that for the last 2 days, Hi 5 and music video clips on the iPad have been my nanny. My poor boy has not got a whole lot of one-on-one play time with Mummy. I have been dragging toys into the bedroom, turning the television on (something I am normally pretty strict on viewing amounts) and hopping into bed to get some rest.

So there it is. I have relied on the television to entertain my Munchkin for the last 2 days. It is certainly not something I am proud of, but I think that it was necessary for my own health and sanity. A happy, healthy Mummy means a happy, healthy Munchkin, right? RIGHT?

Have you ever relied on the television to play "nanny" when you were sick, or needed to get things done?
What do you do when you aren't well and you have a clingy child?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 15 May 2012 at 08:07 , Blogger Marissa @ Beautifully Organised said...

Oh Chrissie you poor thing! Don't worry for even a second about using tv when you need to. The important thing is that you get better. If you don't take the time to get well, you'll be sick for longer anyway!

Besides, I find when my little Sophie gets into a tv show she gets obsessed with it and we end up making up lots of fun games and craft etc all about the characters, so really it helps with play ideas in the long run :)

 
At 15 May 2012 at 16:30 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Oh thank you Marissa! It has been so great to find out that other Mums do this too, and I'm not the only guilty one!

I can not wait until Master A wants to play games and do crafts!

 
At 16 May 2012 at 21:25 , Blogger Tubbah @ Organising: My Crazy Life said...

Ohh I hope u feel better soon hun!! No don't feel guilty about it, we all do what we have to do to get by! I like to limit screen time, but in order to get things done around here (especially dinner) I need to rely on the electronic babysitter :) Besides, some of the shows are quite educational and like Marissa said, gives plenty of play ideas :)

 
At 16 May 2012 at 21:34 , Blogger Chrissie Me and My Munchkin said...

Thanks hun, I am feeling much better, although my poor little Munchkin has caught it now, so the TV is still in use, as there's not much more he wants to do except snuggle in front of the TV.

I'm just happy he's finally expanding his viewing beyond Hi5. We actually had a bit of Shrek and Madagasca today!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home